Skip to main content

What Difference, At This Point, Does it Make?

I am not thinking about the election, nor the embassy staff abandoned to their deaths on 9/11/2011, nor the fact that Mrs. Clinton may well never be held accountable by any earthy authority for what happened there.

I am thinking about the correct understanding of Ezekiel 38-39 and the determination of people to equate Russia with Gog and Magog, and that it probably doesn't matter if we get it right or wrong at this point. Somewhere I read a great quote that prophecy is not about knowing the future, but about recognizing the appointed time it when it arrives.

World War III seemed right around the corner in 2014, but two years have passed. Assad continues to fight against rebels while giving those of his people under siege very little to live on or hope for. Thus ISIS grows in the instability of Syria and Iraq.

Now Russia has entered the fray. They cannot win on the world's stage with their continued aggression against Ukraine and their economy is sinking under the load of sanctions and low oil prices. They are aligned with Assad and with Iran. This looks to some like Gog allied with Persia and Syria in Ezekiel's prophecy.

Of course, at this point, North Africa isn't on the scene ( Put and Cush or Ethiopia) and while Armenia (Beth Togarmah) is talking with Russia about allowing them to create a base there, the other would-be allies are currently not interested thanks to the Sunni / Shi'ia divide. Also, Turkey is the potential target, not Israel.

At some point things will line up. It is possible that Russia will be among the many people going out with the forces of "Gog and Magog" even if they are not the titular head. We'll know when fire falls from heaven and consumes those forces drawn up against Israel, having come from the north. We'll know when it takes 7 months to bury all the dead in Israel and the destruction creates a detour into the holy land.

What difference, at this point, does it make?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unintended Post

I didn’t mean to open a new post just now, but in exploring the new bells and whistles on blogger, I pushed a red circle and here I am. Whenever possible, I am a homebody. The Covid 19 lockdowns made it more possible for me to chose to stay home without looking weird, and it’s hard to give up. The last month has really changed my online life. It has revealed the darkness of all Salem Communications owned sites, as well as Whatfinger, Liberty Daily, Citizen Free Press and other sites I used to frequent for news from a non full-left slant. Instead they have a mostly pro-Putin / antiUkraine slant! Even Glenn Beck has gotten askew on his facts regarding Ukraine in 2014. Rather than accepting the public record of a legal quorum of the parliament impeaching Yanukovich after he abandoned his office and nation, Glenn calls the Revolution of Dignity a “coup.”  However, he’s not as bad as the others and certainly does not exhibit a heart of cruel indifference to the present situation. He see...

No Place to Get Comfortable

Tonight as I am listening to music I used to love, I find myself going from one time in the past to another and feeling that I can't settle anywhere. This brings to mind the last moments our cat Poe spent at home before we rushed him to the vet at the end of his life. He couldn't move his hind legs, but he willed himself from chair to chair under the kitchen table, trying to find a place of comfort. They had all been satisfying before, but now nothing worked. That's how life feels now. Something drastic has happened, a tragic change, and there is no way to get comfortable or if there is, it won't last. I feel I will be torn from it... like Poe trying to grab the final chair and hang on as I picked him up to head to the car. Now I feel sick to my stomach, not about the past so much as the present and the future. In seminary we discussed civilizations under collapse; people try to recapture previous times, idealized and romanticized versions of the past, o...

Brace for Impact

8/14/2011  As I read the headlines this morning that foretell a likely downgrade of America's credit rating, I could see that image of the cartoon people from airline instruction cards, bracing themselves for impact. We all need to prepare for a bumpy, economic, emergency landing. So, what do we do? I've lived through more than one economic downturn in my life, the most extreme of which were overseas. I had the cushion of hard currency as an exchange student and as an international worker; the people around me had the cushion of having prepared, put by (horded), and using their means frugally. Let me say here that I really don't expect some post-apocalyptic nightmare scenario to materialize with people starving in their basements, having eaten their family pets, and killing their neighbors over stale croutons. What I do expect we could see is more unemployment, more uncertainty, inflation and possibly shortages of foods and durable goods. It is possible we could see...