Skip to main content

Mother's Day Musings on Labor Pains

Those who know me or who have followed this blog over the last decade know that I was a birth doula for a while. In that capacity I've attended mothers for the births of 8 children; 3 as an apprentice doula and 5 as the primary doula. Because I have no children of my own, this is the extent of my experience with labor.

I've recently been thinking about world events in terms of labor pains. Scripture also alludes to the progress of world events toward God's appointed ends in terms of labor and childbirth:

After the events of this last week I feel unexpectedly traumatized. I don't use that term lightly. I read a great article "Ask a Counselor: how do we recognize and cope with trauma?" which spoke about the way we dismiss small trauma and the effect it has on us. As I read it, I became aware of how traumatic the last year has been, and how it's still impacting me now.

Today I find myself unable to get comfortable, as I was when I wrote the post No Place to Get Comfortable. I am restless and irritable and nothing is satisfying. Previously, I compared these feelings to that of my cat Poe in the last hours of his life. Today it makes me think more of a woman going from mere active labor into transition. All of the coping skills she had employed up to that point seem to stop working and everything feels like it is out of control.

Her body responds with nausea, defensiveness, irritability and hypersensitivity as if under attack. For some women this is the point where it seems to them that they cannot go on. Some despair, some cry, and some panic. A good doula may pull out the "take charge" routine here, and kindly but firmly tell the mother that she can go on, that they will go on together, that she is not abandoned nor alone and she is stronger than she realizes.

I need that right now, but I guess realizing it myself is sort of half the battle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lovers of God in a Dangerous Time*

Two Thoughts on Psalm 11 In the Lord I take refuge; How can you say to my soul, “Flee as a bird to your mountain; For, behold, the wicked bend the bow, They make ready their arrow upon the string To shoot in darkness at the upright in heart. If the foundations are destroyed, What can the righteous do?” The Lord is in His holy temple; the Lord’s throne is in heaven; His eyes behold, His eyelids test the sons of men. The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, And the one who loves violence His soul hates. Upon the wicked He will rain snares; Fire and brimstone and burning wind will be the portion of their cup. For the Lord is righteous, He loves righteousness; The upright will behold His face. (NASB) His eyes behold, His eyelids test the sons of men.   Eyelids tell us so much about what a person feels about a given situation and we tend to gauge what they will do next based on facial expression. God sees what is going on, but He doesn't react to things the way

At the Confluence of Competing Totalitarian Systems

I  caught a glimpse of Justin Trudeau’s speech this morning with Boris Johnson. Make no mistake, they are trying to find a way to use this crisis to move the globalist agenda forward. They will help Ukraine only so far as it serves this end. They don’t want Ukraine to retain its cultural and national distinctives any more than Putin does.  They, like Putin, want one world with one identity, dictated by themselves, with no borders.  We all are caught in a war between totalitarian ideologues.   If it were not so, the west would throw off their so-called “green” agenda and start pumping more oil from their own lands. This would let our economies roar back (unthinkable to globalists) and take the wind out of Putin’s wings with no military action nor risk of nuclear retaliation. For globalists and Putinists alike, their ideology is their religion, and they will not back down even if it costs every life on earth. Last night on Euronews, they followed up a story on Putin’s desire to erase Ukr